Monday, October 4, 2010

Back In the Saddle Again...

I love horses. I love everything that has to do with horses - the work involved, being outside, doing labor, the care required, and the persistence that riding demands. Most people don't know that I worked at a ranch all the way through high school and into my freshman year in college. I spent my summers and vacation time working with and training horses, leading trail rides, teaching riding lessons, and stocking the barn with hay. I love building a relationship with a horse, until the horse trusts the rider, and the rider trusts the horse. It is as if horse and rider become one, and it is an incredible feeling. I love working with the horses that aren't perfect, and doing my best to make them a great riding horse.

I drive by a ranch every day - it is about 2 miles from our house. I feel that longing to ride swell up inside of me. I hadn't been riding in three years...until Saturday. Our good friends, The Gollohers, knew that I love riding. We talk about it a lot, because their relatives own a few horses on some beautiful acreage. They called and invited me to go - I was absolutely delighted!

As soon as we pulled up to the farm, I felt instantly at home. The rolling fields were gorgeous, and the fresh fall smell was invigorating. I met Sweet Pea, the horse I would be riding that day. As I plopped down into the saddle, I felt so comfortable - I hadn't forgotten a thing. I took the reins in my hands, and off we went. Now Sweet Pea is not a perfect horse - just the way I like it. She is stubborn, clumsy, and didn't pay attention. But, she allowed me to work with her.

As we were riding through the fields, I noticed Sweet Pea's lack of focus on the trail ahead. She constantly moved her head from side to side, and even occasionally glanced behind her. She was easily distracted by the other horses and the donkeys in the nearby field. This caused her to trip and stumble over her own feet. At a few points, she tried to challenge my authority as rider, wanting to do her own thing. But I didn't budge - I wouldn't let her. Throughout our 3 hours of riding, I constantly had to pull Sweet Pea's head back to focus on the trail. A little tug on the reins reminded her to look ahead. By the end of our ride, I barely had to remind Sweet Pea! Success! And we were able to trot around and have a good time.

As I think back to my first ride with Sweet Pea, I can't help but think of our relationship with Christ. We are traveling down this trail in life, with so many distractions all around. Like Sweet Pea, we move our head from side to side and are not focused on the path ahead. When we are not focused, we become clumsy and stumble. Christ continually takes the reins and gives a little tug to remind us to keep our eyes set on the path before us. There are times when we rebel and want our own way, heading off of the trail and into the woods. But we are guided back to the trail by our Creator - sometimes gently, and sometimes forcibly. When we position ourselves to listen to Christ and to hear the cues that He gives, we are focused and travel down the path that He has set before us. The path is not straight and easy - there are potholes, rushing rivers, and twists and turns that we run unto along the way, but with our focus on the path ahead and as Christ as our leader, we will continue on.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment