Thursday, December 15, 2011

10 Things

Ten things I've learned in the past six weeks:

1. Poop is explosive. Majorly. Explosion number one: poop flying from our bed covering the bassinet and carpet. Mom and Dad's carpet cleaner needed. Explosion number two: poop flying everywhere in the backseat of my car, and all over me. Laughter was a must (for sanity's sake) and mom and dad's carpet cleaner (with the car attachment) needed once again. 

2. All of that crap about not using a pacifier because of nipple confusion is, well, crap. She nurses just fine, and the pacifier is amazing and the most used item throughout the day. 

3. Some of my favorite items:

  • The moby wrap! Amazing! Why didn't I start using it sooner???
  • Fisher Price Snugabunny Swing
  • Fisher Price Snugabunny Bouncer - portable, I use it a lot in the bathroom when I'm getting ready.
  • wipe warmer
  • breast pump
  • zip up sleepers
  • Butt paste
  • SwaddleMe swaddle wraps
  • Boppy Newborn Lounger
  • Chicco travel system
  • video touch screen monitor
  • lots of cuddly blankets
  • bows, headbands, flowers
  • jogging stroller
  • mittens so she doesn't scratch herself

4. Social interaction is a must. Even if I'm really tired and just want to stay home because there is a million things to get done, a visit with friends and family is extremely important. Just getting out of the house and being around strangers at a store does wonders.

5. Time flies. And I tell myself every day to never take a moment with her for granted. I will never wish my moments away, or say "I can't wait for her to..."

6. God provides. When we need it most. When we wonder how we are going to make it.

7. Diapers are one of the greatest inventions ever. I never realized how many you really go through in one week.

8. One of the best times of the day is after her 7ish am feed. She wants to snuggle (we usually do in my bed) and she is full of so many smiles and chatters a lot. I love it. I never thought one of my favorite times of day would be before 10am. My, how a baby changes things.

9.  Don't sweat the small things. And it's okay if my house does not look perfect and there are dishes in the sink and laundry in the washer. And flexibility is key.

10. I think I allow myself enough time to get out the door when I need to be somewhere at a specific time, but I never do. So far, late every time.

Okay, I know it says 10 things, but just one or two more...

11. Date night is a must. Even if Evelyn comes along, she just sleeps in her carseat anyway. And any alone time that you can find in your day is also a must. Evelyn is now our main focus, but the marriage relationship still must come first.

12. I'm so in love. I can't get enough kisses, smiles, coos, and snuggles. And, I see so much of myself and her daddy in her. It's so beautiful to see our love for each other expressed through her.


No comments:

Post a Comment