Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sacrificial Giving

You know those people in your life that happily give? They love to wrap up presents, give gifts when it's not even a special occasion. They love to pay for lunch, give a few dollars to the bum on the side of the road. They give without strings attached. They give to the church with a smile on their face. It is one of their spiritual gifts, love languages, to be a giver.

I'm not a giver in that sense. I will cheerfully give my time, but I have a hard time giving material things or money.

I'm trying to develop that form of giving in my life.

Tithing has always been a challenge for me. I will faithfully give that ten percent, but most times, I do not give cheerfully. I pray that God uses the money in a great way, and I know He does. It's just really hard at times to drop that money in the bucket with a smile on my face. I'm working on it...

I'm trying to be an "intentional giver," picking up the lunch bill, giving gifts, etc.

Recently I heard God's voice very clearly about giving away an item to an incredible ministry that I have recently been blessed by. God spoke it to me, and I said "oh, I'll pray about it to make sure He really wants me to give that away." So I waited a week. I honestly did not pray about it at all. I just wanted to "wait a week" to hopefully forget about it, and hope that God would, too. Then again, on a Sunday night, God told me that I needed to give it away. So I approached the person and offered it to him, and discovered that they really need this item.

What is it?

My precious keyboard.

For those of you who know me, you know what I am talking about. It is my Roland RD-700 stage grand keyboard, with all of the bells and whistles (it's the one Michael W. Smith plays at his concerts.) I purchased it (well, financed it) years ago. I faithfully made the payments and paid it off. I used that keyboard to lead worship in Wisconsin and Florida, week in and week out. It was my baby, my musical workhorse. For those of you with nice music equipment, you understand. I had become so attached to it, it has such sentimental value! It has been my faithful music companion.

After I had committed to giving it to this ministry, I have struggled with wanting to "keep" it, wanting to go back on my word, tell them, "oops, I didn't mean to give that away!" I've even thought about just selling it to make some quick cash.

But I know that I am meant to give the keyboard. God has called me to do it. And I am committed to giving it.

I think I understand the meaning of sacrificial giving now. To me, it feels like I am really sacrificing to part with this beautiful instrument. But I am listening to God. He knows what He is doing. I trust that this is just another way that He is continually working in my life, to mold me, shape me, into what He wants me to be. He fills me up, so He can pour me out.

Please hear me out and understand that I am not blogging about this to pat myself on the back. I just want to share how God is moving in my life, and perhaps encourage you in your walk. I think we all can learn to become better at giving - sacrificially, intentionally, and cheerfully.

I said goodbye to my keyboard on Sunday. I wanted to show the new owners how it all worked and tell them all about it, but I just let it go. And I can honestly say that it was difficult, but when I heard it being played, I smiled. It can now be played by people who have wanted to lead worship but did not have an instrument. It can now be used to lead people into worship, to change lives! It is going to a ministry that has been HUGE, a blessing, incredible, instrumental in my life. If it can be used to be huge in someone else's life, then it is worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment