Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Idols

Our Pastor started a new sermon series last week. He kicked it off by speaking about idols in our lives. Since hearing the message, it has constantly been on my mind.

Pastor defined an idol as anything we seek to give us what only God can give us. 

Exodus 2:4 says "You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath of in the waters below." 

As I sat in church and processed all of this, I realized that my idol has been the pursuit of pregnancy. I pray every day for it to happen, ask God for strength and guidance, read my Bible, and all the while, I have been chasing after what God can do. I know He can give us babies, I know He is the healer, I know He is the miracle worker. And I have been hanging on to that - knowing He can do it, but yet He doesn't. My confidence needs to come from the LORD, not from what the Lord can do.

We all have idols in our lives. Ask yourselves these questions:
If I had ______ then I would be truly happy?
If I lost ______ then I would be in despair?
I'm controlled by _______?
I sacrifice for ________?

My answers were: if I had a baby, then I would be truly happy. If I lost any chance of conceiving, then I would be in despair. I'm controlled by efforts to get pregnant. I sacrifice for my fertility. 

How could the pursuit of something so miraculous and beautiful become an idol? It is often the things that we think are good that become idols. 

Jeremiah 17:12
This is what the LORD says: Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who draws strength from mere flesh and whose heart turns away from the Lord. That person will be like a bush in the wastelands; they will not see prosperity when it comes. They will  dwell in the parched places of the desert, in a salt land where no on lives. But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. They will be like a tree planted by water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit. The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?

No comments:

Post a Comment