Monday, May 16, 2011

Discontent

I'm finding myself in a place of discontentment. It has been building strongly over the past year. Most people's knee-jerk reaction to the word discontentment is "Be thankful, be content in all situations." But this is a different discontentment. It is a place where God has been bringing me, where I believe He is working. I think God often brings us to a place where we are no longer content or comfortable, and that is where He moves. Call it sifting, shifting, working, moving, revealing, guiding. You see, I fully believe God has so much more for me, and where I am in life. Disclaimer: Please see my heart in this, and please understand that I am not aiming this at a certain person, peoples, church, or denomination. A lot of it is directed at myself!  Perhaps I can better explain it this way...



I am no longer content with "getting through" the day.

I am no longer content with simply attending church with all of the other attenders, and putting in our weekly dues. 

I am no longer content with playing keys on a Sunday morning because it's what I like to do.

I am no longer content with putting on our happy, smiling faces and running around with the facade that "my life is perfect and you don't need to see my pain." Authenticity, raw and true, is deeply needed. 

I am no longer content with continuing to let the voiceless have no voice.


I am no longer content with how the generation before us "did" Christianity. It's time for revival and relevance. 

I am no longer content with labels and politics. I used to be passionate about politics, but frankly, I don't care if you sit on the left, right, or middle. We still need Jesus - no matter what your political statements are. 

I am no longer content with judging others solely based on appearance, first impressions, and life circumstances.

I am no longer content with people being in pain and us not doing a thing about it. So many are carrying hurt and are in pain.

I am no longer content with hearing "I'm praying for you" and then not following through. Let's stop and pray right now, not caring who is watching or listening, or how uncomfortable it may feel.

I am no longer content with the church being people-pleasers, critics, politicians, and gossipers. Where is the church that HE desires??


I am no longer content with my heart not breaking for what breaks His.


I am no longer content with not allowing my pain to help others, no matter how painful it is for me.


I am no longer content with allowing my joy to be robbed due to my insecurities about relationships, people pleasing, and constantly asking "is everyone okay with me right now? does everyone like me?"


I am no longer content with how society views the modern day church and modern day Christians, and what we've done and how we've failed to cause this. 

I am no longer content with relationships staying surface level. I want to know you, spend time with you, invest in you, grow with you, pray with you.

I am no longer content watching my days fly by without feeling any true purpose or calling.


I am no longer content with not letting the Spirit move past a 4 song set list and some short prayers. My heart desires and longs for deep, Spirit-led corporate worship and prayer, with no limitations.


I am no longer content with not seeing the Word as alive, in my day to day life. 


I am no longer content with the inability to be still before Him.


I am no longer content with being content. 




God is doing a work, a shifting, a changing of the seasons. I don't know what that is going to look like, but I know that things are changing, and I'm not just going to stand by and refuse to follow Him. God is speaking, guiding, directing, and I'm hanging on for dear life as He does - waiting, listening, ready to be moved.


Whatever You're doing inside of me
It seems like chaos, but somehow there's peace.
It's hard to surrender to what I can't see
but I'm giving in to something Heavenly. 
(Sanctus Real)


Seasons change, God stays the same.
He is making everything I go through into something beautiful.
(summary of Ecclesiastes 3:1-11)


No comments:

Post a Comment